Tonight in Full STEAM Ahead! we had fun learning about tessellations and making our own tessellation art.
We started with small squares of card stock, made lines to divide them into four pieces, then cut them apart and taped them back together. Then we traced our new shapes, which fit together perfectly! We also colored them in, using crayons, markers, or colored pencils.
To see all the photos, click here.
Here’s how you can do this at home:
1. Start with a small square of paper.
2. Write STAR in the four corners (S in upper left, T in upper right, A in lower left, R in lower right).
3. Draw one line (any way you want) across the page side-to-side, and another line up and down.
4. Cut along the lines so you have 4 shapes.
5. Put the new corners together so it spells RATS and tape together.
6. Trace around the new shape on a piece of paper. Move the shape next to the first tracing and trace again. The shapes should fit together with no gaps.
You’ve made a tessellation!
Here’s a link from PBS Kids for more activities.